Wednesday, August 11, 2010

“Thorns and Thrones” 


I’d rather gather roses without thorns, Lord,
A bright and fragrant, beautiful bouquet
To decorate my world with pretty pleasures-
The brambles and the briers, I’ll throw away.

But you say I must pluck the thorns as well, Lord,
Though they’ll pierce my heart and sting my soul;
You say that pain’s a part of peace, you tell me
That breaking is a part of being whole.

You say that if I truly want to know you,
I must count everything but Christ a loss;
You ask me to exchange my will for yours, Lord,
To trade contentment’s kingdom for a cross.

And so I come before you, weak but willing;
I seek to walk your path, and not my own;
I choose to share the crown of thorns you wore, Lord,
Until I kneel before your royal throne.

B.J. Hoff



No comments: