Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fill Me With Hope



I don't think is a coincidence that I decided to start out this year reading through a devotional titled "Fill Me With Hope". God knew I was going to need it to start the year with.


It has been a rollercoaster ride around here for the last couple of weeks. Chad and I had some wonderful news that we were just starting to share with everyone. We told our immediate families and were planning on letting everyone else know this week. We were pregnant! Finally! After 4 years of hoping and praying and trying we were going to have a baby! Then on Saturday I started cramping and bleeding and by Monday morning knew that I had miscarried. I was not quite 6 weeks along. Oh the emotions! The ups and downs in 2 weeks that we have experienced. It is an understatement to say that it hasn't been easy and would be a lie if I said that I am okay. For the most part I am. There are many things to be thankful for in all of this. I realize though that it's okay to let myself cry and grieve and miss my baby and acknowledge that there is a part of me that feels empty. Chad has also been struggling and we had a good talk the other night and agreed that we need to take the time to grieve but then we need to have hope again. We don't want to dwell on the sadness and disappointment of it all. This is what we want to concentrate on instead.....


We got pregnant! After so long and really feeling like maybe it couldn't happen and never would, it did! We will absolutely try again. Part of me is scared to try I will admit. I don't want to go through this again. I also realize though that I am not God and so I am not in control of what happens. It is my job to keep myself healthy and strong and to trust and have hope! 


All through this trial and sorrow there have been things to be thankful for: thankful that I wasn't farther along when it happened, thankful that my parents haven't left for vacation yet and that Chad wasn't away on a business trip, thankful that my place of employment is willing to let me work from home this week, thankful for my sis-in-law who has offered words of advice and encouragement, thankful for friends and family who are praying for us and supporting us, thankful for the way Chad and I have grown even closer together, thankful for a husband who knows to just let me cry and who hugs me and just wants to be with me, thankful for a puppy who keeps me company and is ultra sensitive to my moods and emotions, thankful for the sun that was finally shining yesterday.


I can tend to let depression get hold of me at times. It is something that I have never fully given into but that I know I struggle with and I have made a determination in my heart to not let that happen. My God is too big and too strong and too mighty to do that. No, I don't understand why it had to happen and yes, it hurts alot, but God has a plan and to that I hold and trust and have to believe. And so I think upon those things that are good and pure and true and lovely and full of hope. 


I would ask for your prayers as tomorrow we go for an ultrasound to confirm everything and to make sure that my body is cleansing itself. Pray for us as we pick up the pieces and carry on with life having loved and lost but being so thankful for the time we did have. It was a great two weeks and we are holding to the hope that God will allow it to happen again and will see it through to the end.


My prayer continually right now is that God will Fill Me With Hope.

3 comments:

Christan Guy said...

Julie,
you are a gem.
We are amazed at you both for bringing out the positive in this experience. That is so courageous, and such a testimony of God's grace.
We mourn your loss, but praise God for answered prayer in giving you the gift of life.
With love and hope for you guys, we continue to pray for peace and joy in your home and a babe in your arms.
Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Julie,
When I experienced this years ago, I was all alone, I thought. Yet, God was there with me and He was my comforter. I also found myself reading the Word one day and in it, when Bathsheba lost her new baby, her husband comforted her. Seek your husband's strength and comfort every day - God gave him to you for that very reason!
Much love,
Kate (otherwise known as Shannon's little sister!)

Shannon said...

Dear Julie,

I was brought to joy, and then tears for you, all in the same second. I am so so sorry you have had to experience this, but at the same time, I am very blessed that you have been able to be so positive during sorrow.

I have been through miscarriage twice (our first pregnancy, and our 4th after a long time of trying). I know for myself that while the physical healing was relatively quick, the hurt in my heart took a bit longer to mend. I sincerely hope that God will talk to you during this time and give you something upon which to rest your heart and mind. He greatly comforted me (after the 2nd miscarriage) with Isaiah 62.

I hope you continue to do well, and we are praying for both a quick physical recovery as well as for "heart" healing for you and Chad. Definitely miss NO opportunity to be a comfort to each other. :)

We love you very much, old friend.

With many fond memories,
Shannon